Wednesday, August 8, 2012

lesson learned.

As many of you know I have been stuck in a dreaded weight plateau for about 6 ish weeks now. I've been trying to "hurdle" (Olympic pun intended) over this number so I can finally start working on losing the next 10 lbs. It has been frustrating and irritating by seeing the same number on the scale each week. So i thought i would join my co-worker in a little kick-start. change it up a bit.

I'm not one for quick fixes, because i have been down that road mannnyy of times before with the " No Carb diet", " Slim Fast", " 5 small Meals", " No Meals"....well maybe not that last one because i could nevvverrr not eat. nor should anyone else ever feel that they should not eat.

but this time i caved in. and was weak. and tried to do a quick fix kick start.

                                                          Military Diet



it's called the military diet. the diet has your meals planned for 3 days and tells your exactly what to eat. here's what it consisted of:

Day 1:
Breakfast- Half Grapefruit, 1 piece toast, 2 tbsp peanut butter
Lunch- Half cup Tuna, 1 slice toast
Dinner- 2 slices any meat (3oz), 1 cup string beans, 1 cup Vanilla ice cream

Day 2:Breakfast- 1 egg, 1 piece toast, half banana
Lunch- 1 cup cottage cheese, 5 saltine crackers
Dinner- 2 hot dogs, 1 cup broccoli, half cup carrots, half banana, half cup vanilla ice cream

Day 3:
Breakfast- 5 saltine crackers, 1 slice cheddar cheese, 1 apple
Lunch- 1 boiled egg, 1 slice toast
Dinner- 1 cup tuna, half banana, half cup vanilla ice cream

I knew from just reading the menu that I would have to add some vegetables or protein bars in the meal plan, because with running this would NOT be enough. Day 1 wasn't bad, Day 2 lunch was horrible, and then I only made it half-way through Day 3.

Moral of the story: quick fixes do not work and are not worth it, but they do provide opportunities to learn from. For instance, I think i may have found what might help me break my plateau...eating less fruit.

I know this sounds crazy because we are told that fruit is good for us, but on the WW plan all fruits and veggies are 0 points. Which is great!!...buttt fruits still have calories and sugars in them. and if you eat more than 2 half c. servings of them a day (which i def. was doing), they could be holding you back. I found this on the WW website under 5 things NOT to do:

4. Don’t stuff yourself with fruit       Fresh fruits are free because we want to encourage you to eat them. They're filling and nutritious Power Foods and we've factored the caloric impact of even the highest-calorie fruits into our calculations of your daily PointsPlus Target. So go for it! Just make sure to eat until you’re satisfied, not stuffed.
      Be particularly aware of day-long grazing. It’s a great habit to have a fruit bowl on your desk or somewhere equally accessible, but be mindful of your portions. While you’ll hear a lot of people saying, “Yeah, I’m not doing Weight Watchers because I ate too much fruit!” there is still a possibility that not listening to your hunger signals can scupper your efforts. If you really think you’re doing everything else right while eating a lot of fruit and you’re still not losing weight, then examine the amount of fruit you’re eating, and why.

I'm going to try this plan in the next couple of weeks and see if it helps! and as always, the goal of trying to lose a little bit of weight is to maintain and live a healthy lifestyle and to learn at an early age the right foods to eat to prevent health problems in the future. That is my goal at least.

Has anyone ever had any luck with quick fixes? the answer should be no! haha

Think eating less fruit will help?

3 comments:

  1. Have to share my husband's recent blog posts about these subjects!!!

    http://mjttraining.com/2012/08/07/my-top-fat-loss-workout-principles-for-maximum-results/

    http://mjttraining.com/2012/07/31/6-fat-loss-mistakes-you-should-never-make/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been good at following specific plans, but sometimes before races I will go a few weeks without desserts. I always loose weight doing it, but mostly I do it to help my body function better for the race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny you mention the fruit thing... I have also been having trouble dropping a few pounds to get closer to race weight and I think fruit is my problem. So I am doing a test and having no fruit for a whole week. Fingers crossed it works. Then I at least know what's up. Good luck to you on your goal as well.

    ReplyDelete