Monday, May 21, 2012

the dreaded plateau

oh how I loathe thee.

These past 4 weeks have been a tough time in my weight loss journey. I've been at a stand still on trying to move the number on the scale down. Every week...same number. I know that the number on the scale shouldn't matter and shouldn't be the number 1 factor, but a little confirmation helps! So, this week I'm kickin' it up a notch.

goals:

-drink more h20....i usually average about 72 oz a day
-no cheating on foods ( i.e, having snacks that i shouldn't and not counting them into my daily intake)
-working out in the morning ( kick-starting my energy since I basically sit for 8 hrs straight at the desk)
-making sure I'm getting enough vegetables ( i usually do better with fruits)
-working out hard...I've been putting out so-so energy lately
-eating a different variety of foods ( changin' it up!)

maybe these will help kick-start something? hope so!

I think everyone hits plateau's in their training...it's just part of it! You can't expect to be wonder man/wonder women and hit every goal just like that. Plateau's offer you 2 choices: quit or work harder. I'm choosing to work harder. find inspiration. dig deep.



Have you ever been in a plateau?

What helped you get out of it?

7 comments:

  1. Go girl! As I'm marrying a personal trainer, I can't tell you how much I admire how he is so committed to healthy practices. Since he's done it so much, its habit. That is what I hope to accomplish making work outs habitual and keeping a food intake that is beneficial for the function of my body.

    As I was reading in one of his "training women" books, I found a section that was both comforting and helpful when thinking about how I train and my health. Men work out and eat healthy consistently, they lose fat, women work out and eat healthy consistently, they lose fat for a little bit, then plateau, then lose fat again, then plateau. While we all know this is common sense, It was so good to hear that confirmed from a excersize professional!

    So what makes sense to me is that if women will plateau regardless of how we are training, then if we keep a consistant schedule, program and nutritional intake, we are bound to eventually keep losing fat. All we have to do is learn to forget about the plateau, don't look at the scale so much, and just keep on going.

    Hope that helps!! Plateauing is to be expected, so a little push is fine, but don't allow yourself to think that you need to completely revitalize your program. Keep on keepin on!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for that comment Leslie!Very encouraging :) Those dang men...they get to take the easy way out again :)

      Delete
  2. Also, are you doing any weight training? Building muscle mass is really helpful when you're depleting your muscle mass on long cardio workouts. I know that amping up my weight lifting kickstarts weight loss great for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started incorporting some weights into my cross-training about a week ago. I didn't know that about muscle mass...interesting! make sense tho.

      Delete
  3. I like your goals! If I cut out (or way back) on sweets, I seem to always lose weight. And the opposite is true, if I'm eating them without restraint, I gain weight. Sometimes switching up workouts and running partners helps motivate me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I totally have a " bit" of a sweet tooth as well. I'm doing really good about not getting chocoalte out of stash drawer at work. So hard! :)

      Delete
  4. ugh the p word. i am stuck in mine and the scale is actually moving up a little. i'm just so tired of working so hard then not seeing results. gotta get my game face back on though. no more pity parties for me! Lol

    ReplyDelete